Home » News » Self-Assessment Essay

Self-Assessment Essay

Name: Omeisha Daley

Date: 11/15/2020

Professor Velez

English 110

Rhetoric, Research, L&L Experiences,

and All Things Great!

I can honestly say that I’m so relieved and grateful that this semester is almost over and done with and that class is ending on a somewhat good note for me. At the beginning of this semester, as silly as it may sound I was so afraid of English class and writing because I thought that my writing just wasn’t worthy enough of being read and I didn’t want to bore anyone with my writing. As the semester has progressed I’ve discovered that no one’s writing is perfect and all pieces of writing comes with its flaws and things that needs to be worked on. With that being said I’ve come to realize that there was no need for me to be afraid to write because writing is all trials and tribulations that we could all stand to learn from. And with this realization I’m starting to notice that I’ve undergone some serious academic and mental growth with each and every word written in my essays. These essays have helped me to become more confident in my work and have helped to motivate me when writing other essays in the future. Most importantly, I’ve mastered most of the Course Learning Objectives through my work; which has humbled and grounded me.

Our English class has been split up into three different Phases and in each phase we are responsible for mastering or learning the Course Learning Objectives. More specifically, in Phase one of the class we were responsible for writing about a Language & Literacy experience that was a very important moment in our lives and in this essay we utilized two specific Learning outcomes. The learning outcome such as ​ ​Recognize the role of language attitudes and standards in empowering, oppressing, and hierarchizing languages and their users, and be open to communicating across different languages and cultures was utilized in Phase 1. This outcome can be seen in the words “And I really wanted to know why something as frivolous as an accent could cause me to feel so ashamed and disgusted with myself” (pg 3). This demonstrates the role that language attitudes and standards have in oppressing people. And by saying “ me to feel so ashamed” it’s showing that the language attitudes portrayed by other people can cause oppression and make someone feel “ashamed with themselves”. The learning outcome such as Recognize and practice key rhetorical terms and strategies when engaged in writing situations was also utilized in Phase 1. This outcome can be seen in the words “Those few words sent me into an inner turmoil that I battled with” (pg 3). This illustrates that rhetorical strategies were used in this Phase1 essay and pathos was specifically used to appeal to the readers. And by utilizing pathos in the writing the writer aimed to appeal with the readers and get them to feel the pain that they felt because of the language based discrimination they faced. And with the writer using such descriptive words such as “inner turmoil” the writer is trying to make the readers sympathize with her and get them to really understand why she feels the way that she does about being ridiculed about her accent.

In Phase 2 of our English class we were responsible for writing a rhetorical analysis essay that analyzed the rhetorical devices and strategies utilized by specific authors and there was one specific learning outcome that was utilized in this essay. The learning outcome such as Explore and analyze, in writing and reading, a variety of genres and rhetorical situations was utilized in Phase 2. This outcome can be seen in the words “ And with the appeal being emotions readers will look at  Mother Tongue in a different perspective and realize that it’s relatable and they might even take advice from it and apply it to their everyday lives” (pg 3). This highlights the fact that rhetoric is being explored and analyzed in this phase 2 essay. The writer analyzes the rhetorical devices being used by Amy Tan and helps the reader to see how the rhetoric being used is very helpful in helping readers to understand the conflict being talked about. The writer talks about the appeal that Tan uses to give the reader perspective into how the readers will view this essay. This Learning outcome is really important because it was used intentionally and unintentionally in all three Phases and has been mastered in all of the phases.

In conclusion, The Course Learning Objectives 1, 2, 3, and 4 have all been utilized in all three phases and I can honestly say that I’ve mastered or achieved all of these Objectives to the best of my ability. Some of the Objectives are utilized either more or less in each essay and can be seen clearly in all pieces. However, Course Learning Objectives 5-9 haven’t really been touched on in all three phases of this class and could use some exposure. There’s nothing wrong with not using these Objectives because they really haven’t affected the other phases. And honestly Objectives 5-9 really weren’t that important when it came to writing the essays, but Objectives 1-4 were really important and heavily impacted my writing.